A short one this week. I wasn’t at my desk a lot this week, due to the supreme pleasure of showing my visiting bestie around Seattle, which means my RSS reader is largely unread. I spied this dude on the way to dance class a few days ago. I hope he stays forever. I want there to be a plaque and an artist’s statement. Reading this left me aching to sit at my desk with paper, scissors, and about a million hours to spare. (Although I realize a laser cutter would be the more useful tool.) 12th Avenue, Capitol Hill. Pointed. Apt.
Since my friend went home yesterday, I’ve been very domestic, which means lots of podcasts. I’ve had quite the backlog of Podcastle, which means two things:
- I do not have enough fantasy fiction in my life.
- I can remedy that beautifully and immediately.
So, in the past few days, I’ve enjoyed listening to:
- A full-cast story about a superhero with an asshole talking tumor
- A story about a dipshit prince and his intriguingly genderless trickster assistant
- The god of the chosen people pestering a spaceship-bound Chinese girl to help avoid a plague
- And a story about a magic-wielding pseudo-gangster in 1920s New York who does a quick, strange job for Arnold Rothstein
Fine soundtracks for laundry, dishes, and cooking.
Having a friend in town is a great motivator to check out things you’ve managed to miss so far, and so it was with the two of us and Ines Pattiserie. I needed coffee, and she wanted a cookie, and we wound up with this raspberry cake, multiple cookies, a croissant, a small anise meringue, and an additional almond croissant bagged to be eaten later. (I ate it as part of a breakfast thali the next day with blueberries, cut pears, and fried eggs.) The proprietor is soft-spoken, intense, and very keen for you to try new things. She kept heaping extra goodies on the plate, and we ate until we had only the mildest of regrets. Also, the espresso was some of the best I’ve had in some time.
It is very beautifully and very meticulously put together. And I will wear stretchy pants next time.