As I write this, a helicopter is still hovering over Capitol Hill to capture the magic. I added a few pictures to the Deviation Obligatoire Flickr that I took tonight. I considered doing a separate post about it, but it’ll be covered amply by the rest of the world. I will just tell you that I saw these things:
- Two flung beer cans
- At least ten bottles of champagne, shaken and sprayed
- One small Christmas tree, brandished overhead like an undecipherable symbol
- One small Christmas tree, four hands with lighters at its base as the bearers tried unsuccessfully to light it on fire
- One small Christmas tree, confiscated by four cops
- Bottle rockets shot from a traffic cone
- Bottle rocket sparks, sprayed on nearby onlookers
- Professional-grade fireworks, launched from the very densest center of the crowd
The band emerged after I went home. Alas.
Now, let’s get to the rest of the internet.
I love this essay so fucking much. Her 20s were not quite like my 20s were – there is something about me that seems to tell strange men DO NOT BOTHER THE LADY (something which surprises people who know me), so I’m mostly spared certain things. But the beauty of coming into your own… Ah, I love Molly Crabapple. I love that someone with such a finely tuned blend of fine art and cartooning is also such a sharp, unsparing writer. Continue reading